As Aldous Huxley put it, “It’s a little embarrassing that after 45 years of research & study, the best advice I can give people is to be a little kinder to each other.”
Emotional Fitness Tip
Experiment. Add five acts of kindness to your to do list. These need not be elaborate acts. Moreover, small acts often matter most to people. Here are some suggestions.
- Smile and say “Good morning” to everyone you pass on the street.
- Hand out compliments to total strangers.
- Always thank anyone who does something for you.
- Say please if you are asking someone to do something.
- Pack an extra sandwich in your lunch, or buy an extra cup of coffee, and give it to a homeless person.
- Give up your seat to someone in greater need on a bus or train.
- Send postcards to the children in your family.
- Call a friend or relative you haven’t spoken to in a few months.
- If someone is struggling, for example a parent trying to get a child’s stroller up some stairs, help. If someone has an arm load of packages and drops one, pick it up for them. If a child is having a temper tantrum, sympathize with how hard it is to be a parent.
- Offer to pick up groceries for someone who is housebound.
Now here’s the big trick, attitude matters. Do any of the above, grudgingly and you will not get good from being kind. You want to genuinely connect. Not easy but possible. Try each of the suggestions to find those that work for you.
For more about making kindness your mission, buy eBook. Know your Mission So You Can Reach Your Goals. This is possibly the most important book I have written. I hope you buy it; it is life-changing. moreover, as I keep noting, it costs less than some of your favorite things – a Big Mac, for example and will nourish your soul, not just your body.
I don’t often make promises, but I do promise if you buy this one, read, and follow the path I’ve laid down, you will live the good life – you will not always be happy, but you know contentment and peace with who you are.
Thank you for all you do
Remember to share all you find of value on the internet. All who post crave recognition. A like says “Thank You.” Comments say you have read and thought about the post. Sharing is a gift to three people: the blogger, the people you share with, and you for your kindness bless you.
Post Inspiration: This post was inspired by inspired by WordPress Daily One Word Prompt: Fierce.
Links of Interest
These links are for those not familiar with Emotional Intelligence or the idea of Emotional Fitness.