The coming holidays provide big time opportunities for buying something you regret. That is when the Advertisers use Sneaky Hypnotic Tricks to get you to buy more and more.
I am a trained hypnotist. Found it a useful tool when I was a practicing therapist. Also became well aware of its dangers. Now I rant about what I call the Sneaky Hypnotists and they are mostly the ad people, business managers, and the Neuro Linguistic Programmers. Each try to persuade you to do what they want and hypnotism is built of the art of persuading.
Here is how hypnotism works:
- Starts with getting you relaxed
- Builds trust
- Induces a trance state
- Learns about your desires, fear, and guilt. Uses each to persuade you to do what they want. think of the main themes of advertizing: Visions of things people want: to be beautiful, powerful, or strong; to feel safer, or to overcome guilt.
- Embeds messages in your conscious and unconscious.
A few facts you need to know:
- Not everyone is easily hypnotized and about 10% of the population cannot be induced into a trance state. However, 10% are very easily hypnotised. These are the ones stage hypnotists get clucking like a chicken. The rest of us fall in between those two extremes.I thought I could not be hypnotised but a skilled hypnotist proved me wrong.
- Trance states are common. If you get lost in a book, you are in a trance state. If you drive or ride a common route and find yourself at your destination and do not remember driving there, you were trancing out.
- Any and every time you are asked to image something, to relax, or to repeat a saying you are being invited into a trance state. When you are watching your favorite sport often you are imaging yourself as playing and respond emotionally whether victorious or defeated.
- You cannot be made to do something you are totally opposed to, but the ability to link to things you want diminishes willpower. I could easily help someone stop smoking if they really wanted to; not so if the desire to smoke as stronger than the desire to stop.
- A little known hypnotic tool: Confusion. Creating a bit of confusion induces you to seek resolution and often that links to earlier beliefs that have proved comforting. Confusion can also make you more open to solutions imposed by others.
- Other common hypnotic tools: Repetition, music, use of rhythm and rhyme, crowd indorsements, celebrity endorsements, and expert endorsements.
Emotional Fitness Tips
Tip One: Spend some time watching advertising with an eye to thinking about what hypnotic tool they are using to get you to buy. A beautiful woman speaks differently to men and women, but both are images to induce you to buy something. Same for happy romancing couples, a fast car. or the newest gadget.
On the other hand, talk about the safety of a product taps into something else. Risky stuff that ends well makes you more willing to buy something that might keep your safe.
Tip Two: Become aware of your trigger points, what most lures you into a trance state. For most people imagining something starts the process. Being asked to relax lure into a trace state. When in danger of being triggered remind yourself to “Stay Safe.”
Tip Three: Remember what matters. Mission matters most: All the ancients and the more modern researches say a mission or overall purpose in life is vital to staying emotionally strong and not being persuaded to do things you regret. They also note that the mission to the good life remains basing your life on the Golden Rule. To learn more about this, get my eBook How To Know Your Mission To Reach Your Goals. It will help your sort out wants from needs. Buy It Now for $3.03. Less than a movie and longer lasting. This one makes a great gift for those in college, in a job they hate, or feeling stuck in life.
Thank you for all you do
Remember to share all you find of value on the internet. All who post crave recognition. A like says “Thank You.” Comments say you have read and thought about the post. Sharing is a gift to three people: the blogger, the people you share with, and you for your kindness blesses you.
Post Inspiration: This post was not inspired by the WordPress Daily Prompt:Aromatic. However smell is often a tool luring your into buying particularly when it calls you back to a pleasant childhood memory.
Links of Interest
These links are for those not familiar with Emotional Intelligence or the idea of Emotional Fitness.
- Emotional Intelligence (en.wikipedia.org)
- The five components of emotional Intelligence (www.sonoma.edu)
- About Emotional Fitness Training (emotionalfitnesstraining.com)
- An Emotional Fitness Program for Parents (amazon.com)
Disclaimer two: Take all advice even mine, carefully. Don’t just listen to your heart, but also think; don’t just think, listen to your heart. Heart and head working together increase the odds you will find useful advice amid all the promises and hopes pushed at you be others. As others have noted, take what seems useful, leave the rest.
Disclaimer three: Forgive my grammatical errors
If you need perfect posts, you will not find them here; I will understand if you don’t follow, like or share what like me. Not only am I dealing with an aging brain, but all of my life I have been plagued by dysgraphia–a learning disability, Some of my posts might be peppered with bad spelling, poor punctuation, and worse words that make no sense. If you want to hang in with me, thank you; you are kind. If a post doesn’t make sense or bugs you too much, stop reading, I will understand.