When your world views are shaken and you cannot keep from ranting or weeping, you have been traumatized. Donald Trump’s election and Hillary Clinton’s defeat traumatized many. Trauma can strengthen or weaken.
As noted above, recovery comes when you:
- Realize you are dealing with a traumatic event.
- Establish physical safety if not safe.
- Tend to your body. If injured, get treatment. Otherwise rest, eat well, exercise. and as soon as you can indulge in some healthy pleasures.
- Do not deny the past, but know “That was then, this is now.”
- Do not dwell on future fears. The future is not known, not ours to control. Change is constant. Good things happen, bad things happen, miracles happen.
- Talk about what happened in helpful ways. Mainly that means initially reviewing what happened; then looking for the lessons, there are always lessons; examining changes in your beliefs and life; and finally, going on without dragging the past into the now
If you cannot do the above you may need therapy and possibly medication. The best therapy is not long term talk therapy, but starts with a cognitive approach to help you sort through the changing beliefs trauma creates, improve your self-soothing skills, and get on with your life.
My eBook, Self-soothing To Create Calm In Your Life remains on sale and is a perfect gift for those struggling with trauma. Buy one for you and one as a gift. You will be spending less the cost of a movie and the benefits are better.
Thank you for all you do
Remember to share all you find of value on the internet. All who post crave recognition. A like says “Thank You.” Comments say you have read and thought about the post. Sharing is a gift to three people: the blogger, the people you share with, and you for your kindness blesses you.
Stay strong, it takes some effort for life can be a painful struggle.
Post Inspiration: This post was inspired by Trumps victory and not by this WordPress Daily Prompt: Primp
Links of Interest
These links are for those not familiar with Emotional Intelligence or the idea of Emotional Fitness.
- Emotional Intelligence (en.wikipedia.org)
- The five components of emotional Intelligence (www.sonoma.edu)
- About Emotional Fitness Training (emotionalfitnesstraining.com)
- An Emotional Fitness Program for Parents (amazon.com)
Disclaimer two: Take all advice even mine, carefully. Don’t just listen to your heart, but also think; don’t just think, listen to your heart. Heart and head working together increase the odds you will find useful advice amid all the promises and hopes pushed at you be others. As others have noted, take what seems useful, leave the rest.
Disclaimer two: Forgive my grammatical errors
If you need perfect posts, you will not find them here; I will understand if you don’t follow, like or share what like me. Not only am I dealing with an aging brain, but all of my life I have been plagued by dysgraphia–a learning disability, Some of my posts might be peppered with bad spelling, poor punctuation, and worse words that make no sense. If you want to hang in with me, thank you; you are kind. If a post doesn’t make sense or bugs you too much, stop reading, I will understand.